Roast chicken is my go-to dinner any day of the week. It always gives leftovers for next day lunches. The spices can be omitted if you prefer a more subtle flavour.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
4 tbsp Coriander
2 cloves Garlic
1 - Lime
zest and juice
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 - Onion
halved, one half chopped
1 kg Onion
1 - Pepper
2 tsp Red Curry Paste
1 - Salt
100 g SuperValu Breadcrumbs
140 g SuperValu Butter
(100g + 40g)
0.5 tsp SuperValu Chilli Flakes
1 - SuperValu Fresh Irish Chicken
150 g SuperValu Porridge Oats
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the half-chopped onion and garlic. Cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes until softened. Mix in the red curry paste, the coriander, the porridge and breadcrumb. Season and set aside to cool until needed. Add the lime zest and juice.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the whole half of the onion in the cavity of the chicken first. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the cold stuffing. Tie the chicken with twine.
- Loosen the skin of the chicken and taking 40g of butter gently massage the butter into the breasts of the chicken. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and Season generously with salt and cracked black pepper and a sprinkle of chilli flakes over the skin.
- On the roasting tray, place the halved onions and add the chicken, using the onions as a raft. (They will cook with the chicken fat during roasting.)
- Place the chicken in the oven and roast for about an hour and ¾ or until the juices run clear out of the chicken thighs when pierced.
- Serve the stuffing on the side with some confit onions and succulent roasted chicken. Mash potatoes make a good side for this dish as an option.