The duck can be cooked in advance along with the sauce. It will keep for two to three days in the fridge, so it’s an ideal dish to make on a Sunday night. You can use the leftovers for a couple of meals during the week.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
400 g Cherry Tomatoes
500 ml Chicken Stock Cube
4 cloves Garlic
0.5 tsp Juniper Berries
2 - Onion
400 g Pappardelle Pasta
25 g Pecorino Cheese
1 pinch Pepper
1 pinch Salt
2 sprigs SuperValu Fresh Sage
leaves removed and finely chopped
2 tbsp SuperValu Tomato Purée
1 - Whole Duck
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Spatchcock the duck by turning it upside down and cutting down either side of the backbone with a poultry shears or sharp knife, then remove and discard the bone. Put the duck on a rack in a roasting tin, flesh side up, and press it down to flatten it, then flip it over. Cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Strain off any fat into a heatproof container and turn the duck over. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and put back in the oven for 1 hour more.
- While the duck and tomatoes are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of the duck fat in a large sauté pan set over a medium-low heat. Add the onions, garlic, sage and juniper berries along with a pinch of salt to help soften the onions. Sauté for 10 to 12 minutes, until the onions have slightly softened and are beginning to caramelise.
- Once the duck and tomatoes are cooked, remove the roasting tin from the oven. Shred the duck, making sure you wear kitchen gloves to do this, as it will be very hot. Discard any bones and fat. Put the shredded duck in the pan with the onions, increase the heat and fry for 5 to 6 minutes, until it has taken on the flavours from the pan. Add the cherry tomatoes, tomato purée and stock to the pan and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until slightly reduced. Season with salt and pepper.
- While this is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil over a high heat. Add the pappardelle pasta and cook for 4 minutes or according to the packet instructions. Strain and add to the tomato sauce, tossing to coat.
- Serve in large pasta bowls with shavings of Pecorino cheese.