Salmon fishcakes with chilli mayonnaise and salad
If you like, you can substitute the salmon for haddock, prawns or crab meat.
Serves: 2 people
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
1 - Fresh Egg
mixed with two tbsps milk
1 tbsp Plain Flour
50 g SuperValu Fresh Breadcrumbs
1 - Red Onion
1 - SuperValu Butterhead Lettuce
150 g SuperValu Fresh Salmon Darnes
From the Fish Counter
1 - SuperValu Lemon
2 large SuperValu Potatoes
peeled and cut into cubes
2 - SuperValu Tomato
- Begin by placing the potatoes in a large saucepan of water and bringing them to the boil.
- Simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Strain off the water and allow the potatoes to steam to continue softening.
- Mash the potatoes, adding only a little salt and pepper. Do not add any milk at this stage as it will make the potatoes too wet to hold the required shape.
- Allow the potatoes to cool down.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the salmon darne into a baking dish.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour water on top of the salmon and pop into the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes until the salmon is just cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down.
- Dice half of the red onion into small pieces.
- Heat a little oil over a medium heat and gently sweat the onion until just softened and then allow to cool. Grate the lemon and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Next add in the potatoes, onions, and egg yolk and mix well.
- Then break in the salmon darne into the mixture and carefully mix together.
- Divide the mixture into round shapes and transfer to the fridge and allow to rest.
- Sprinkle with a little plain flour to coat the fish cakes.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg and the milk and place the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
- Place the flour coated fishcakes, one at a time, into the egg wash mixture, ensuring it is fully coated in egg wash before transferring it to the fresh white breadcrumbs, ensuring that it is fully coated.
- Heat a large frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil and pan fry the fish cakes for approximately 2 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Place on a flat baking tray, transfer to the preheated oven and continue cooking for 10-12 minutes to ensure that cakes are warmed through.
- Mix together the tomato ketchup, mayonnaise and chilli powder and store in the fridge until required.
- Make up a tossed salad by mixing together the lettuce, tomatoes, and red onion.
- Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil.