Serves: 4 people
4 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp Butter
80 g Honey
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 pinch Pepper
1 pack Ready-to-roll Puff Pastry
cut into a disc to fit the pan
4 - Red Onion
120 ml Red Wine
1 pinch Salt
1 pinch Sea Salt
2 tbsp SuperValu Fresh Thyme
50 g SuperValu Parmesan Cheese Shavings
300 g SuperValu Rocket Leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Warm a large pan, about 20cm in diameter, over a medium heat with the olive oil and butter. When the butter is foaming, add the honey, balsamic vinegar and pepper. Bring to a simmer and add the halved red onions, cut side down, to the pan. Cook on a low heat for a further 2 minutes to colour the onions.
- Without turning the onions, pour the red wine and thyme into the pan. Continue simmering for another 5 minutes to cook the onions a bit more. Remove from the heat, check the seasoning and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place a disc of puff pastry on top of the onions to the edge, then fold the edges of the pastry between the inside of the pan and the onions so the onions are covered. Make a small hole in the centre of the pastry to let the steam escape.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 3 to 4 minutes to settle the cooking juices.
- Meanwhile, place the rocket leaves and Parmesan shavings in a small bowl. Gently tilt the warm cooking juices from the pans over the salad and quickly toss to dress the leaves.
- Turn out the onion tarts onto plates. Season with a pinch of sea salt, then garnish with the dressed rocket leaves and serve immediately.