This is comfort food at its best: slow cooked, melt in the mouth lamb with mash.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 - Carrots
3 sticks Celery
1 L Chicken Stock Cube
1 bottle Red Wine
1 sprig SuperValu Fresh Rosemary
2 sprig SuperValu Fresh Thyme
4 cloves SuperValu Garlic
4 - SuperValu Lamb Shanks
1 large SuperValu Onion
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/ Gas Mark 2.
- Heat a large frying pan with a little oil.
- Quickly brown off the lamb shanks until they are sealed all over and then transfer to the casserole dish.
- Brown off the chopped vegetables and herbs for a few minutes and add these in on top of the lamb shanks also.
- Pour in the red wine and the chicken stock on top of the lamb shanks and cover the entire casserole with a lid.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 2 ½ hours until the meat is tender and well cooked through.
- Remove the shanks from the liquid and then sieve the sauce and bring it to the boil until a sauce like consistency has been achieved.
- Serve the shanks drizzled with the reduced sauce.
- Horizontally slice the bulb of garlic.
- Place into some tin foil and drizzle with a little oil, seal the tin foil and place in the oven for approximately 45-55 minutes until the garlic has softened.
- Peel the potatoes and cut in quarter, place into a large saucepan of water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, fit with a tightly fitting lid and continue to cook until the potatoes are softened.
- Strain the potatoes into a large colander and return to the saucepan with the butter and the milk.
- Squeeze the garlic out of the roasted bulbs into the potatoes also.
- Mash the potatoes until completely smooth.