This traditional turkey will round off the perfect Christmas day. Also, we have some tasty ideas in our Christmas recipes for how to use those leftovers!
Serves: 10 people
SuperValu Fresh Sage
SuperValu Quality Irish Whole Turkey
SuperValu Streaky Bacon Rashers
SuperValu Dried Mixed Herbs
SuperValu Goodness Mixed Nuts
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Melt the butter over a very gentle heat.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the butter and cook until very gently cooked but not coloured.
- Take off the heat, allow to cool slightly and then add the sausage meat, freshly chopped herbs and the breadcrumbs.
- The mixture should not be too dry as it will lead to a dry stuffing.
- Season the stuffing, add the pine nuts and ground cinnamon and allow the stuffing to cool completely.
- The stuffing can be made a couple of days in advance if you wish.
- Mix the 90g of butter with the finely chopped sage.
- Loosen the skin away from the breast of the turkey and rub the sage butter onto the breast under the skin.
- On Christmas morning stuff the turkey.
- Line the cavity with some baking parchment and loosely pack the stuffing into the bird.
- Don't forget to weigh the turkey again with the stuffing enclosed (to assist with accurate calculations for cooking times etc).
- Put the turkey onto a large roasting tray and lay the streaky rashers of bacon across the breast to protect the meat and prevent it from drying out.
- Put the turkey into the oven.
- After the first two hours cover with tin foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Allocate 20 minutes per pound and then an additional 20–30 minutes in the oven.
- In total it should take about 4½ hours.
- When a skewer is inserted into the meat nearest the bone (ie the leg) the juices should run completely clear.
- Allow the turkey to rest for at least 20 minutes when it comes out of the oven before carving.