Ham is my favourite part of the Christmas Dinner, the glaze in this recipe gives a wonderful sweet yet spicy flavour. Use Cloves instead of Star Anise if preferred.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
150 g Dried Apricots
2 tbsp SuperValu Barbecue Sauce
60 g SuperValu Brown Sugar
3 - SuperValu Fresh Ginger
2 tbsp SuperValu Honey
3 kg SuperValu Quality Irish Ham Fillet
6 - SuperValu Star Anise
plus extra to decorate
50 ml Water
- Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Soak the ham in a bowl of water for up to an hour to remove any excess salt.
- Place the ham into a large pot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for about 2½ hours and turn off the heat allowing the meat to cool in the cooking liquor.
- Remove the ham from the cooking liquor and remove the outer rind.
- Score diamond shaped lines into the fat.
- Stud star anise into the layer of fat and put onto a baking tray.
- In a food processor, process the apricot and the water until a marmalade-like consistency has been achieved.
- Add the sugar, honey, barbecue sauce and ginger and process for a further minute or two.
- Spread the mixture over the star anise studded ham.
- Loosely cover with tin foil and bake in the oven at 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2 for about an hour or perhaps a little more, depending largely on your oven.
- Take the tin foil off at this stage.
- Brush any leftover glaze over ham and turn up the heat for an additional 20 minutes.
- Rest the meat for an additional 30 minutes once removed from the oven, before slicing.