A fantastic vegetarian option, perfect for spring and summer.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 - Fresh Egg
225 g Plain Flour
110 g SuperValu Butter
1 pinch SuperValu Salt
2 tbsp Water
2 - Fresh Egg
1 - Red Onion
peeled and cut into thing wedges
140 g SuperValu Brie
cut into slices
2 tbsp SuperValu Brown Sugar
60 g SuperValu Butter
75 ml SuperValu Cream
3 - SuperValu Pears
peeled cored and cut into thin wedges
0 - SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
- To make the pastry, sieve the flour and salt into a glass bowl, add the butter and using your fingers crumble together until resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the beaten egg yolk and some water until the dough comes together.
- Wrap in clingfilm and allow to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease a 12" pastry tray.
- Roll the pastry into a rectangle, approximately 3mm in thickness.
- Trim the excess and place in the fridge to rest.
- Meanwhile melt half the butter in a frying pan and when foaming add the pear and brown sugar, turning once or twice until golden (approx 5 minutes).
- Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining butter to the pan and add the onions, cook for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and cover with some parchment paper, fill with some rice or dried beans.
- Place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and remove the paper and rice or beans.
- Whisk together the eggs and cream, add some salt and pepper.
- Arrange the caramelised pear, brie and onion over the base of the pastry, then pour over the cream mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until just set.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.