Nothing beats the crispy crunch and the delicate flavour of batter-fried fish.
Serves: 4 people
SuperValu Cod Fillets
or Sparkling Water
SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
- To make the beer batter, sift the flour and cornflour into a bowl, add some seasoning. Make a well in the centre and add the lager and water, then gradually whisk into the flour mixture until you have achieved a smooth batter.
- Before use, the bowl of batter should be covered with clingfilm and transferred to a refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes, or longer if possible.
- Dust the fish portions in a light coating of flour and then dredge in the batter, shaking off any excess. Deep-fry in a deep fat fryer preheated to 180°C for about five minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown. Depending on the size of your fryer, you may have to do the portions in batches. If you are cooking larger pieces of fish, start cooking them in the fryer and then transfer to the oven to finish cooking.
- To make your chips, first wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into thick cut chips and store in water until required. Deep-fry them in hot oil (180°C) until fully cooked, crispy on the outside and soft and floury in the centre.
- Serve the fish and chips in little newspaper cones with a wedge of lemon and enjoy.