This deliciously fragrant recipe for spatchcock chicken is simple to prepare and perfect for the barbecue.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 large Fresh SuperValu Mixed Chilli
de-seeded and roughly diced
3 cloves Garlic
0 - SuperValu Fresh Coriander
1 tbsp SuperValu Fresh Ginger
1 - SuperValu Onion
peeled and diced
1 kg SuperValu Quality Irish large chicken
Chopped Baby potato skewers
16 - SuperValu Baby Potatoes
From the Store Cupboard
3 tbsp SuperValu Olive Oil
- Place the onion, garlic, chilli, ginger and 2 tbsps olive oil into a food processor and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Remove from the processor and add the coriander.
To spatchcock the chicken
- Place chicken breast-side down, with the tail towards you.
- Using sturdy scissors, cut up along each side of the backbone to remove it, cutting through the rib bones as you go.
- Open the chicken out and turn over. Flatten the breastbone with the heel of your hand so that the meat is all one thickness.
- Generously smear with the chilli rub and place in a large bowl and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the barbecue. Place the chicken, skin side down on the barbecue.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes each side on the hottest part of the barbecue, then transfer to the outer side of the barbecue to cook over a gentler heat for a further 30-40 minutes. Cover the barbecue with a lid during this time.
- Cooking time will depend largely on your own barbecue.
- The flesh of the chicken should be soft, easily come away from the bone and the juices should run clear. Always ensure fully cooked before serving.
Baby Potato Skewers
- Par-boil the potatoes until they are almost tender, strain off the water.
- Allow to cool down, toss in a little oil and thread them onto metal skewers and cook on the preheated barbecue for 3-4 minutes on each side until they have turned golden brown.
- Serve with the chicken.