This deliciously fragrant recipe for spatchcock chicken is simple to prepare and perfect for the barbecue.
Serves: 4 people
Fresh SuperValu Mixed Chilli
de-seeded and roughly diced
SuperValu Fresh Coriander
SuperValu Fresh Ginger
peeled and diced
SuperValu Quality Irish large chicken
Chopped Baby potato skewers
SuperValu Baby Potatoes
From the Store Cupboard
SuperValu Olive Oil
- Place the onion, garlic, chilli, ginger and 2 tbsps olive oil into a food processor and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Remove from the processor and add the coriander.
To spatchcock the chicken
- Place chicken breast-side down, with the tail towards you.
- Using sturdy scissors, cut up along each side of the backbone to remove it, cutting through the rib bones as you go.
- Open the chicken out and turn over. Flatten the breastbone with the heel of your hand so that the meat is all one thickness.
- Generously smear with the chilli rub and place in a large bowl and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the barbecue. Place the chicken, skin side down on the barbecue.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes each side on the hottest part of the barbecue, then transfer to the outer side of the barbecue to cook over a gentler heat for a further 30-40 minutes. Cover the barbecue with a lid during this time.
- Cooking time will depend largely on your own barbecue.
- The flesh of the chicken should be soft, easily come away from the bone and the juices should run clear. Always ensure fully cooked before serving.
Baby Potato Skewers
- Par-boil the potatoes until they are almost tender, strain off the water.
- Allow to cool down, toss in a little oil and thread them onto metal skewers and cook on the preheated barbecue for 3-4 minutes on each side until they have turned golden brown.
- Serve with the chicken.