A galette is a French-style pancake from Brittany. It’s more robust than a pancake and they are usually served with savoury fillings.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
For The Filling:
4 tbsp Almond Butter
8 - Cherry Tomatoes
3 cloves Garlic
2 - Parsnips
1 tsp Salt
2 large Shallots
or 1 onion, finely chopped
1 small SuperValu Butternut Squash
peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
100 g SuperValu Button Mushrooms
1 bunch SuperValu Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley
1 tbsp SuperValu Oil
250 ml Vegetable Stock
50 ml White Wine
- First make the linseed ‘eggs’ by adding the linseeds to a glass with the water. Leave to sit for 5 minutes, until the seeds coagulate and become quite egg-like in texture.
- Put the linseed ‘eggs’ in a blender or food processor along with the flours, milk and salt and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- To make the filling, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium pot set over a high heat. Add the mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, shallots, parsnips, squash and garlic and cook until the shallots start to brown slightly, about 3 minutes. Add the white wine and salt and stir regularly until nearly all the wine has evaporated, about another 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Blend the veg stock and almond butter in a blender. Add 4 tablespoons of this mixture at a time to the veg mixture over the next 10 to 15 minutes, until the butternut squash and parsnips are soft and all the veg stock and almond butter mix has been added and incorporated into a thick, rich, super-tasty filling. Stir in the parsley.
- To cook the galettes, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan set over a high heat. Once the oil is hot, turn down the heat to medium and add enough batter to very thinly cover the base of the pan. You want as thin a covering as possible. Once bubbles start to appear in the middle of the galette and the edges start to crisp, turn over and cook on the other side, until golden. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the rest of the batter, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Add about 6 tablespoons of the filling to the centre of a galette. Fold in the edges as in the photo below. Repeat for the rest of the galettes and serve with a simple green salad.