By Kevin Dundon
This is a wonderful one-pot dish that’s ideal for a family supper. The chicken is almost poached and is so tender, yet full of flavour and melt-in-the-mouth goodness. It’s suitable for home freezing too.
Preparation time: 10 minutes•
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Serves: 4 people
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a casserole set over a medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and season well. Sear for 2 to 3 minutes, until coloured all over. Transfer to a plate.
3. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same casserole. Add the onions, carrots and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly coloured. Add the garlic, thyme and bay leaf and cook for a further 30 seconds. Add the stock and white wine and season generously with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then return the chicken to the casserole and transfer to the oven.
4. Cook in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes, covered. Remove the bay leaf and add the butter beans and some extra stock if needed to make sure the beans are just covered, then return to the oven, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes. Check for seasoning.
5. Bring the casserole to the table and sprinkle with the chopped fresh parsley just before serving.