Serves: 10 people
SuperValu Dried Mixed Herbs
SuperValu Fresh Breadcrumbs
SuperValu Pine Nuts
SuperValu Quality Irish Fresh Whole Turkey
SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Melt the butter over a very gentle heat.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the butter and cook until very gently cooked but not coloured.
- Take off the heat, allow to cool slightly and then add the sausagemeat, freshly chopped herbs and the breadcrumbs. The mixture should not be too dry as it will lead for a dry stuffing.
- Season the stuffing, add the pine nuts and ground cinnamon and allow the stuffing to cool completely. The stuffing can be made a couple of days in advance if you wish.
- On Christmas morning, stuff the turkey.
- Line the cavity with some baking parchment and loosely pack the stuffing into the bird.
- Don’t forget to weigh the turkey again with the stuffing enclosed. (to assist with accurate calculations for the cooking times etc).
- Put the turkey into the oven and begin to bake.
- After the first two hours, cover the turkey with tin foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Allocate 20 minutes per pound and then an additional 20-30 minutes in the oven. In total it should take about 4½ hours.
- When a skewer is inserted into the meat nearest the bone (i.e. the Leg) the juices should run completely clear.
- Allow the meat to rest when it comes out of the oven and carve as required.
- Enjoy the turkey and the day!