An advantage of cooking a turkey crown is that it’s quicker to cook and easier to carve. Choose your favourite festive stuffing by adding cranberries, apricots or even chestnuts.
*This recipe serves 6-8.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Mix the butter, sage and lemon zest together, then rub all over the turkey crown. Place the onion and carrot in a roasting tray and add the turkey on top. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook in the oven, uncovered, and baste every 45 minutes, until cooked through. A 3kg turkey crown will take 2 hours 15 minutes to cook. Loosely cover with foil if it’s browning too quickly. Allow the crown to rest before carving.
3. To prepare the braised cabbage, melt the butter in a pan set over a medium heat. Add the cabbage, apple and onion and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the sugar, wine, vinegar and spices and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 1 hour. About 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir in the raisins. Once cooked, remove the star anise and cinnamon stick.
4. Meanwhile, to prepare the pigs in a blanket, use a rolling pin to roll the streaky bacon in between two sheets of non-stick baking paper to stretch and flatten them. Cut in half and wrap each piece around a cocktail sausage. Place side by side on a baking tray and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes before serving the turkey.
5. Carve the turkey crown and serve with some braised cabbage and pigs in a blanket on the side.
TIP: Cook turkey for 45 minutes per kg.