These aubergine vol-au-vents make for the perfect party dish.
*This recipe makes 16-18 vol-au-vents
1. Preheat the grill to high.
2. Put the aubergines under the hot grill for 40 to 60 minutes, turning occasionally. Set aside until they’re just cool enough to handle.
3. Once the aubergines come out of the oven, preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
4. While the aubergines are grilling, remove the vol-au-vents from the pack and brush with the beaten egg. Place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
5. Place the vol-au-vents on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Check underneath to make sure they are done. Peel off a layer of pastry from the centre to create a cavity and set the cases aside somewhere warm.
6. Make an incision along the centre of each still-hot aubergine and scoop out the flesh. Drain this in a colander, then chop and mix with the garlic, parsley, lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
7. To serve, spoon a generous amount of warm aubergine (reheated in a pan if necessary) into the vol-au-vents. Spoon some yogurt on top and swirl the two together a little. Scatter with pomegranate and sesame seeds, drizzle with a little olive oil and serve on a platter.