I use fusilli for this, but you can use any other shape you like, such as macaroni, penne or rigatoni. This can also be made in advance and stored in the freezer for another day.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente. Add the broccoli to the boiling pasta and cook for 30 seconds, until just tender. Drain both well.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened.
4. Put the pasta, broccoli and onion mixture in a 20cm x 30cm baking dish along with half of the Cheddar and the cream and lemon zest and stir to combine. Top with the breadcrumbs, Parma ham and remaining cheese.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately.