Serve with a delicious Winter Fruit Compote.
1. Grease a 25cm x 20cm x 4cm baking dish with the butter. Tear the loaf of bread into chunks and arrange in an even layer in the baking dish. In a large jug, mix together the eggs, milk, maple syrup and nutmeg, then pour this evenly over the bread. Chill for 10 to 15 minutes, until the bread has absorbed the liquid.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ gas mark 4.
3. To make the topping, place the flour and butter in a medium bowl and rub together using your fingertips. Stir through the sugar and cinnamon.
4. Remove the dish from the fridge and sprinkle the topping evenly over. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Serve with the winter fruit compote.
Winter Fruit Compote
1. Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan set over a low to medium heat. Allow to simmer gently for 6 to 8 minutes, until slightly softened. Discard the star anise and vanilla pod.
2. Serve alongside the baked French toast, your favourite granola or to pimp up your porridge or yogurt.