Originally from Annakeen, Headford Co Galway, John Enda Colleran came to Galway to serve as an apprentice at Costello's Butchers in Eyre Square. On September 8th 1935 he and his wife Bridget opened their own butcher shop at 18 Mainguard Street where it continues to trade today, eighty years on.
John E. passed his love of the trade to his sons Paul and Enda and they, in turn have passed the family tradition on to the next generation with Paul's son Raymond, and Enda's daughter Maeve now running the retail business and Enda's son Donal running the factory.
Not only do they supply their famous, and prize-winning sausages, puddings and home cooked meats to the shop in Mainguard Street, they also wholesale their products to other retailers, hotels and restaurants throughout Galway.
Collerans Butchers attribute the success of the business over the past eight decades to quality produce, hard work, great staff and service.