There is nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread in the home and this family sized loaf is perfect at any time of the day, great with a bowl of soup for a quick snack or supper.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 6 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 tbsp Black Treacle
2 tsp Bread Soda
2 large Fresh Egg
50 g Plain Flour
50 g Porridge Oats
a large fist full
1 pinch Salt
500 ml SuperValu Buttermilk
350 g SuperValu Wholemeal Flour
1 dstspn Vegetable Oil
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3
- Put the flours, sieved bread soda, salt and porridge oats into a large mixing bowl and combine well.
- In a separate bowl beat together the eggs, oil and treacle and add to the dry mixture.
- Next mix in the buttermilk and get the mix to a “sloppy” consistency.
- Pour into a greased 2lb loaf tin and smooth the top of the bread with a wet spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes and remove the bread from the tin, return to the oven inverted and bake for a further 15 minutes – this gives a lovely crust all the way around the loaf.
- Remove from the oven - to test that the loaf is cooked rap the bread with your knuckles – there should be a hollow sound to indicate it is cooked. Allow to cool.
- For added variety you can top the loaf before baking with a sprinkling of seeds or porridge oats.