The texture of the breadcrumbs is really delicious on the ham and makes for a very attractive option.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 kg SuperValu Quality Irish Ham Fillet
75 ml Milk
25 g SuperValu Butter
0 tsp SuperValu Dried Mixed Herbs
75 g SuperValu Fresh Breadcrumbs
1 pinch SuperValu Ground Nutmeg
5 large SuperValu Potatoes
0 - SuperValu Salt
3 - SuperValu Scallions
200 g SuperValu Shredded Cabbage
2 tsp Wholegrain Mustard
Herb Crusted Ham
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Soak the ham first for up to an hour in cold water.
- Transfer to a pot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for about 2 hours and turn off the heat allowing the Ham to cool for approximately 30 minutes in the boiled water.
- Remove the ham from the pot and score diamond shaped lines into the fat.
- Next mix together the fresh breadcrumbs, mixed herbs and wholegrain mustard.
- Spread this mixture over the whole ham ensuring that the ham is covered.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the ham from the oven and allow to rest for an additional 10 minutes before slicing.
- Peel the potatoes and place into a large pot filled with water and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile bring a separate saucepan of salted water to the boil and plunge in the shredded cabbage and cook for 3-4 minutes until just tender.
- Strain off the water and leave the cabbage under running cold water until it has cooled down. Once the potatoes are boiled strain off the water.
- Then add in the butter, milk and a little salt and pepper and leave to steam for a minute or two.
- Mash the potatoes until creamy and then add in the shredded cabbage and the chopped scallions and mix well until the cabbage has completely reheated.
- Add in the nutmeg (if using) at this stage.
- Serve immediately with the herb crusted baked ham.