Macarons are tiny almond cookie sandwiches with a delicious filling that can be varied. Macarons should be slightly chewy, with a crunch and should not crumble easily. I would recommend using a kitchen scales as measurements need to be precise
Serves: 40 people
50 g Caster Sugar
200 g Fresh Egg
3 - Green Food Colouring
250 g SuperValu Ground Almonds
450 g SuperValu Icing Sugar
2 - SuperValu Vanilla Pod
- Line a baking sheet with a layer of greaseproof paper.
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2.
- Sift the ground almonds and icing sugar into a bowl and add the vanilla seeds.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs whites until stiff, adding the caster sugar one spoonful at a time.
- Gently fold the meringue mixture into the dry ingredients with a spatula and combine until fully incorporated.
- For coloured macaroons add the food colouring at this stage.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a nozzle, pipe the mixture onto the lined baking sheet.
- Once the tray has been filled with the piped macaroons, tap the tray against the work surface then leave the macaroons aside at room temperature for 4 hours until a slight crust forms on the surface.
- Place the tray into the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes.
- Leave to cool before removing from the baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the chocolate ganache: boil the cream in a small pan and pour over the chocolate cut into small pieces.
- Stir until a smooth ganache is achieved.
Open the oven door every 3-4 minutes to allow any steam to escape, this will ensure the exterior doesn't crack and a smooth finish. *Check Coeliac Society of Ireland Food List for gluten free brands.