Serves: 6 people
- Preheat oven to 110°C/212°F/Gas Mark ¼.
- Put the cream, milk and vanilla pod into a small saucepan and bring it to the boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar together until they are light and creamy.
- Pour the boiled cream over the whisked eggs and sugar and whisk well until properly combined.
- Remove the vanilla pod.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes until the froth settles or alternatively scoop the froth off.
- Choose 6 large ramekins (or flat brûlée dishes).
- Carefully pour the egg custard into the ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a deep roasting tray and fill it with water about a third of the way up the side of the ramekins.
- Place in the preheated oven for 1 hour until set but still retaining a slight wobble.
- When set, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, then place in the fridge until required.
- Glaze with a little brown sugar and then pop them under the grill or glaze with a chef’s blowtorch and serve.