This is a family favourite and it has been passed down through the generations. It is a ‘must have’ Christmas recipe.
Serves: 1 person
50 g Almonds
110 g Currants
50 g Mixed Peel
45 g Plain Flour
110 g Raisins
110 g Sultanas
50 g SuperValu Cherries
110 g SuperValu Dark Brown Sugar
75 g SuperValu Fresh Breadcrumbs
1 tsp SuperValu Ground Nutmeg
1 tsp SuperValu Mixed Spice
1 pinch SuperValu Salt
- The day before you make the pudding, if time allows, put the sultanas, raisins, currants, cherries and mixed peel in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with the brandy and mix well. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
- Next day add in the flour, breadcrumbs, sugar, almonds, salt and spices to the soaked fruit and mix well to combine.
- Add lemon rind, juice, melted butter and eggs and mix well.
- Place in a well-greased 2lb pudding bowl
- Cover with two well greased pieces of greaseproof paper making sure there is a fold across the middle. Place a double layer of tin foil, secured with string, or alternatively the lid of the pudding bowl on top.
- Place the pudding bowl into a large sauce pan half filed with water.
- Bring the water to the boil and then reduce to a very gentle simmer.
- Simmer for six hours, making sure that the water does not boil off.
- Top up with some additional water if required.
- After the cooking time has elapsed remove the pudding from the water and remove the lid and grease-proof paper and allow the pudding to cool down completely.
- When cold, re-cover as before with fresh paper and store till needed.
- On Christmas morning, you can reheat the pudding either in the microwave or you can steam for in a large saucepan of water (as per the cooking method) for a further hour until thoroughly heated through.
Serve with brandy butter Additional Notes: Nowadays I tend to use Melted Butter instead of suet so that the pudding can be eaten by all the members of the family-especially vegetarians. It will still be as moist so don’t panic!! Brandy Butter:
- 110g/4oz butter-softened-not melted.
- 50g/2oz icing sugar
- 50ml/2floz brandy.
Mix all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.