Nothing beats the crispy crunch and the delicate flavour of batter-fried fish.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
4 portions SuperValu Cod Fillets
be sure the fillets are boneless and skinless
4 wedges SuperValu Lemon
240 ml Lager
200 g Plain Flour
100 ml Soda Water
or SuperValu Sparkling Water
75 g SuperValu Cornflour
1 tsp SuperValu Salt
For the Chips
4 large SuperValu Potatoes
1 pinch Black Pepper
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 cup Mayonnaise
2 - SuperValu Gherkins
2 tsp SuperValu Lemon Juice
1 pinch SuperValu Salt
1 - SuperValu Scallions
- To make the Tartare Sauce, combine all tartare sauce ingredients with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Can be used immediately or can be stored in a sealed jar in the refrigerator.
- To make the beer batter, sift the flour and cornflour into a bowl, and season with some salt and pepper. Make a well in the centre and add the lager and water, then gradually whisk into the flour mixture until you have achieved a smooth batter. The batter should be transferred to a refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes, longer if possible before use.
- Dust the fish portions in a light coating of flour and then dredge in the batter, shaking off any excess. Deep-fry for about 5 minutes in a preheated deep fryer until cooked through and golden brown.You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your fryer. If you are cooking larger pieces of fish start cooking it in the fryer and then transfer to the oven to finish cooking.
- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into thick cut chips and store in water until required.
- Dry off chips thoroughly before frying.
- Deep fry in hot oil 180°C until fully cooked.
- Serve the fish and chips in little newspaper cones , and a wedge of lemon and some tartare sauce - enjoy.