By Clare Anne O'Keefe
This salad will make a substantial vegan main course if served with couscous or quinoa.
Preparation time: 20 minutes•
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
1. Toast the nuts.
2. Make your dressing. Chop one of the avocados and place in a blender with the spring onions, basil, parsley, garlic and cayenne. Blitz with the oil, water, vinegar and the juice of half a lemon to make a creamy dressing. Taste, then add salt and pepper to season and taste again.
3. Cook the veg. Peel the turnip and cut into 3cm cubes. Place in a pot, cover with cold water and bring to a simmer. Add the turmeric, coriander and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook for 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and allow to cool on kitchen paper. This can be made up to three days in advance, then chilled quickly and stored in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Heat a chargrill pan over a high heat. Brush the asparagus tips with a little oil, then add to the pan and grill for 4 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until lightly charred. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and leave to cool.
4. Chop the veg. Chop the cucumber, apples and the remaining two avocados into approximately 3cm cubes and dress with the remaining lemon juice.
5. Prep the herbs. Pick the thyme leaves, discarding the hard stems. This can be prepped and covered with damp kitchen paper up to two days in advance.
6. Assemble the salad. Tumble the asparagus and turnip into a large bowl with the other chopped veg, then scatter over the hazelnuts and thyme. Serve the dressing on the side.