Roast chicken is a family favourite - try adding some lemon or garlic to the basting butter for the most wonderful aromas and flavour. Serve with some roasted root vegetables.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
225 g Crumble mix
100 g SuperValu Butter
1 - SuperValu Fresh Irish Chicken
2 tbsp SuperValu Fresh Parsley Flat Leaf
chopped (could also use sage/thyme/rosemary etc)
1 - SuperValu Lemon
zest, cut in half
0.5 - SuperValu Onion
medium sized & diced
1 - SuperValu Salt
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan and add in the diced onion.
- Cook over a very low heat for 5-6 minutes until all of these ingredients are softened completely.
- Mix in the lemon zest, the freshly chopped herbs and also the soft white breadcrumbs. Season this mixture lightly. Allow to cool down.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the cold stuffing, then add half a lemon to keep the stuffing in place and for additional flavour.
- Place the chicken onto a roasting tray. Loosen the skin of the chicken and taking a little additional butter gently massage the butter into the breasts under the skin of the chicken.
- Sprinkle a little bit of salt and cracked black pepper over the skin.
- Transfer the chicken to the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes. At this stage reduce the temperature of the oven (170C/325F/Gas Mark 3) and cook for a further hour or until the juices run clear from the chicken. The flesh (particularly on the leg and thigh) should feel tender indicating the bird to be cooked.