Summer on a plate, try with some freshly whipped cream. In season raspberries and blueberries can also be used.
Serves: 8 people
500 g SuperValu Strawberries
cut in half
100 g Caster Sugar
4 - Fresh Egg
350 ml Milk
25 g Plain Flour
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, and add the butter and sugar.
- Combine with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Slowly mix in the beaten egg and stir until the pastry comes together in a ball (you may need to use a teaspoon of water or two).
- Place the pastry in the fridge to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and roll it out until about 0.25cm thick.
- Line a 9 inch pastry tin pressing the pastry into the edges.
- Place in a cool place for 20 – 30 minutes to prevent shrinkage at a later stage.
- Bake blind by lining with greaseproof paper and filling with dry lentils.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes, remove the greaseproof paper and lentils and return to the oven for 2 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, and set pastry aside while you prepare the filling.
- In a bowl, using a handblender whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until light and creamy, then add in the flour.
- Pour the milk into a pan and bring slowly to the boil, remove immediately from the heat.
- Add the vanilla extract to the milk and pour over the egg mixture, whisking all the time.
- Return the mixture to the pan stirring all the time with a whisk over a low – medium heat until it comes up to a gentle simmer.
- Continue to simmer for 2 minutes or until it has thickened.
- If the mixture goes a little lumpy, remove from the heat and whisk well, alternatively push it through a sieve.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour into a bowl and cover with cling film to prevent a skin forming.
- Once the Crème Patissiere has cooled pour over the pastry shell and carefully arrange your strawberries to cover the entire tart.
- Heat the strawberry jam with the water.
- Brush the strawberries with the glaze and allow to set.