Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 - Fresh Whole Irish Duck
giblets removed and reserved for the pomegranate jus
0 - Pickled Brussels Sprouts
to serve, see our Pickled Brussels Sprouts recipe
250 g Shallots
4 tbsp Spiced Star Anise Salt
see our Star Anise Salt recipe
2 - SuperValu Mandarins
cut in half
- Rub the spiced salt all over the duck and place the halved tangerines in the cavity. Set the duck in a non-metallic dish, cover with cling film, greaseproof paper or a damp tea towel and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5.
- Cut the shallots in half lengthways, leaving the skin on. Set aside.
- Place the duck on a low-sided baking tray and roast in the oven for 1 hour. Turn down the heat to 160°C/gas mark 3. Add the shallots to the tray and cook for a further 1 and a half hours. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- When the duck comes out of the oven, juice the pomegranate by pressing the seeds through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl with the back of a spoon.
- Warm the chicken stock in a medium saucepan, then use it to deglaze the duck roasting tray. Heat the olive oil in the same saucepan and sauté the whole giblets, including the neck, for 6 minutes. Add the contents of the roasting tray to the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the pomegranate juice and bring back to a simmer. Immediately sieve the jus and serve with the carved duck, roasted shallots and pickled Brussels sprouts.