By Kevin Dundon
Did you know our SuperValu butchers will spatchcock your chicken for you at the butcher counter.
Preparation time: 20 minutes•
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 people
1. Place the onion, garlic, chilli, ginger and 2 tbsps olive oil into a food processor and blend to a smooth consistency.
2. Remove from the processor and add the coriander.
3. To spatchcock the chicken, place chicken breast-side down, with the tail towards you. Using sturdy scissors, cut up along each side of the backbone to remove it, cutting through the rib bones as you go.
4. Open the chicken out and turn over. Flatten the breastbone with the heel of your hand so that the meat is all one thickness.
5. Generously smear with the chilli rub and place in a large bowl and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the barbecue. Place the chicken, skin side down on the barbecue. Cook for 7-10 minutes each side on the hottest part of the barbecue, then transfer to the outer side of the barbecue to cook over a gentler heat for a further 30-40 minutes. Cover the barbecue with a lid during this time. Cooking time will depend largely on your own barbecue.
7. Always ensure it’s fully cooked before serving.