These are really easy and fun to make and are tasty too.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 tsp Baking Powder
100 g Caster Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 - Lemon
finely grated zest only
100 g Self-Raising Flour
100 g Unsalted Butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole bun or fairy cake tin with fairy cake-sized paper cases.
- Put all the ingredients for the fairy cakes in a large bowl and beat until smooth and well combined. Divide the batter evenly between the paper cases.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly golden, risen and cooked through. A skewer should come out clean from the centre. Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, use a sharp knife to slice the top off each fairy cake to give a disc. Cut this in half and set the pieces aside.
- Spread an even amount of lemon curd on top of each fairy cake. Whip the cream to soft peaks, then spoon a small dollop in the centre of each one. Arrange two of the reserved fairy cake halves sitting upright on top of each one to resemble butterfly wings. Put three blueberries down the centre of each one. Dust with a little icing sugar if liked and arrange on a serving platter or cake stand to serve.
Tip: Use natural yogurt or crème fraîche instead of cream for a slightly healthier option if preferred. Use any fruit pieces down the centre instead of blueberries. Chopped kiwi, grapes or other berries would work well too.