I could never tire of a plate of Shepherds Pie and in my mind it is one of the world’s great classics. This is a version that I have developed over the years but the main ingredients are still the same. You could also use the leftovers from the Sunday roast leg of lamb instead of the mince with excellent results.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 6 people
Add all ingredients Select All
500 ml Beef Stock
2 - Carrots
6 - Mushrooms
1 glass Red Wine
2 tsp SuperValu Butter
1 - SuperValu Onion
700 g SuperValu Quality Irish Lamb Mince
0 - SuperValu Salt
2 tbsp SuperValu Tomato Purée
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan then add the onion, carrots and mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add the mince and fry for a further 3-4 mins until the lamb has browned.
- Stir in the stock, Worcestershire sauce, wine, tomato purée and some seasoning.
- Gently bubble for 15-20 minutes until the mince is completely browned and the sauce has thickened.
- Pour into the base of a pie dish and set aside.
- In the meantime, peel the vegetables and cut into chunks.
- Place the turnip, carrots and parsnips into a saucepan of boiling salted water and boil for 6 minutes then add the potatoes and sweet potatoes.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes until the vegetables have softened, then drain.
- Mash the butter into the vegetables and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mash onto the mince and place in a preheated oven for approx 30 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve with some green beans.
*Check Coeliac Society of Ireland Food List for gluten free brands.