Why not vary the type of fish you use by adding Haddock or Crab Meat.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 - SuperValu Fresh Salmon Darnes
1 - SuperValu Lemon
1 - SuperValu Onion
4 - SuperValu Rooster Potatoes
peeled and cut into cubes
1 tsp Chilli Powder
3 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
From your Store Cupboard
1 - Fresh Egg
2 tbsp Milk
1 tbsp Plain Flour
1 tsp SuperValu Dried Mixed Herbs
55 g SuperValu Fresh Breadcrumbs
1 clove SuperValu Garlic
1 tbsp SuperValu Oil
2 tbsp SuperValu Olive Oil
0 - SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
100 ml Water
Herby Potato Wedges
3 - SuperValu Rooster Potatoes
- Begin by placing the potatoes in a large saucepan of water and bringing them to the boil.
- Simmer until the potatoes are tender. Strain off the water and allow the potatoes to steam to continue softening.
- Mash the potatoes, adding only a little salt and pepper.
- Do not add any milk at this stage as it will make the potatoes too wet to hold the required shape.
- Allow the potatoes to cool down.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the salmon darnes into a baking dish. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour the water on top of the salmon and pop into the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes until the salmon is just cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down.
- Dice the onion.
- Heat a little oil over a medium heat and gently sweat the onion until just softened.
- Allow to cool. Grate the lemon and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Next add in the potatoes, softened onion, and egg yolk and mix well.
- Break the salmon darnes into the mixture and carefully mix together.
- Divide the mixture into shapes and transfer to the fridge and allow to rest.
- Sprinkle the fishcakes with a little plain flour - just enough to coat.
- In a bowl whisk together the egg and milk. Place the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
- Place the flour coated fishcakes, one at a time, into the egg wash mixture, ensuring each is fully coated in breadcrumbs before cooking.
- Heat a large frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil and pan fry the fish cakes for approximately 2 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Place on a flat baking tray, transfer to the preheated oven and continue cooking for 10-12 minutes to ensure the cakes are warmed through.
Herby Potato Wedges
- Wash the potatoes, cut into chunky wedges and place into a bowl.
- Drizzle the potatoes with a small amount of oil, the mixed herbs and a little salt and pepper and mix together.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes until crispy and well cooked through to the centre.
- Mix together the tomato ketchup, mayonnaise and chilli powder and store in the fridge until required.