This is one of my favourite ways to eat cauliflower. With a small bit of effort, it makes a tasty side on the plate.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 6 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 - Fresh Egg
200 g Milk
15 g Plain Flour
50 g SuperValu Butter
15 g SuperValu Butter
1 - SuperValu Cauliflower
broken into florets
2 cloves SuperValu Garlic
50 g SuperValu Grated Cheddar Cheese
1 tbsp SuperValu Olive Oil
115 g SuperValu Parmesan Cheese Shavings
1 pinch SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
- To prepare the white sauce, firstly melt the butter and add the flour, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon until the flour has been fully incorporated in the melted butter.
- Gradually add the milk, a little at a time, continuously stirring until a smooth sauce has been achieved.
- Add the cheese and the egg yolk at this stage to give a richer sauce.
- Cover with a layer of clingfilm to prevent a skin forming.
- Preheat the oven 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a large baking tray using half the butter.
- Place the cauliflower florets and garlic into the baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, then add the remaining butter.
- Cover with foil and place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and pour over the Mornay sauce.
- Sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese.
- Return, uncovered, to the oven for a further 8-10 minutes until golden.
- Serve immediately.