This recipe is great as it uses the whole chicken but in two different ways so you get two meal options out of one chicken.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
300 ml Chicken Stock Cube
Good quality & well flavoured
300 ml Milk
(I normally use a combination)
8 - Mushrooms
25 g Plain Flour
25 g SuperValu Butter
1 tbsp SuperValu Fresh Parsley Flat Leaf
1 medium SuperValu Onion
1 - SuperValu Peppers
cut into chunks
1 - White Wine
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Remove the legs and thighs from the chicken. Place the chicken crown onto a baking tray.
- Cut the lemon into wedges and place the lemon wedges into the cavity of the chicken. Soften the butter and massage the softened butter in under the skin of the chicken, directly onto the breasts. Place a couple of sage leaves here also.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Ensure the chicken is cooked by checking that the juices run clear when a skewer is removed from the part of the meat nearest the bone.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes, before slicing.
- Meanwhile heat a large pan with a little oil. Season the chicken legs and thighs with a little salt and pepper and then seal them off on the hot pan until the skin of the chicken is golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and retain for a few moments whilst you are making up the sauce.
- Heat the butter in the pan and add the onions and sliced mushrooms together with the diced peppers.
- Cook these for 5-6 minutes or until they are just beginning to colour.
- Scatter in the flour and use the flour to coat all of the mixture and then carefully pour in the white wine and stir. Add in the chicken stock and the milk or cream at this stage as well.
- Allow the sauce to come to a gentle boil and simmer then until it has thickened.
- Sit the chicken back into the dish.
- Cover the dish with a lid/tin foil and transfer to the oven and bake for 50 minutes and then remove the lid and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley/coriander into the fricassee just before serving.
- Serve with some crisp vegetables and crunchy roasted potatoes.