Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 2 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 tbsp SuperValu Button Mushrooms
350 g SuperValu Quality Irish Pork Chops
trimmed (175g per person)
100 g SuperValu Spinach
1 - Fresh Egg
mixed with SuperValu Milk to make a glaze
100 g Mushrooms
0 - Puff Pastry
50 x 30cm
0 - SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
Port and Red Wine Jus
50 ml Port
400 ml Red Wine
1 tbsp SuperValu Dark Brown Sugar
2 sprigs SuperValu Fresh Thyme
1 clove SuperValu Garlic
2 - SuperValu Shallots
1 tsp SuperValu Tomato Purée
- Roll the pastry out to required dimensions.
- Egg wash the puff pastry, and place the spinach in the centre.
- Add the fillet of pork on top of the spinach and brush with the mushroom marinade (or add the mushroom) and then fold the remaining puff pastry back onto the pork fillet.
- Secure the pastry around the pork and again brush thoroughly with the egg wash.
- Cut the sides if desired, and then cut into two for 2 portions.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.
- Place the fillet of pork en croute in the oven for 20–25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
Port & Red Wine Jus
- In a small pan, over a medium heat, melt the butter and add the shallots, garlic and thyme.
- Cook for 1- 2 minutes until slightly soften.
- Add the brown sugar and allow this to melt and bubble up around the sides of the saucepan.
- At this stage, reduce the heat to quite low and pour in the red wine, tomato purée and port.
- Allow this mixture to come to a gentle boil and then reduce to a syrup consistency.