The heady mix of cinnamon, pecans and maple syrup will have you craving these before they are even ready.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 12 people
Add all ingredients Select All
For the dough
1 tbsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Mixed Spice
600 g Plain Flour
plus extra for dusting
1 pinch Sea Salt
225 g Unsalted Butter
diced and chilled, plus extra for greasing
275 ml Whole Milk
For the filling
150 g Cream Cheese
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
75 g Light Brown Sugar
70 g SuperValu Goodness Pecan Nuts
For the glaze
75 ml Maple Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Grease a 12-hole muffin tin with butter.
- Place the flour, butter, baking powder, mixed spice and salt in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat to make fine crumbs. With the mixer running, slowly add the milk and continue to beat until a dough ball forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, give it a little knead until smooth, then leave to rest there for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, blitz the pecans in a mini blender until roughly chopped. Add the sugar and cinnamon and give it another quick whizz to combine. Set aside.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the rested dough out into a 30cm x 38cm rectangle about 5mm thick. Spread the cream cheese on in an even layer, leaving a 2cm border on the long edges. Sprinkle the pecan cinnamon sugar evenly all over the cream cheese.
- Starting at one long side, roll the dough up to enclose the filling like a Swiss roll. Keep it as neat, even and tight as possible. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 12 even-sized pieces about 3cm wide and place each one in a hole in the muffin tin, cut side up.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove and immediately brush the tops with the maple syrup. Once you can handle them, flip them out onto a cooling rack. These are delicious warm or cold.
Tip: Try these with sour cream instead of cream cheese if preferred.