These cups are an ideal and delicious way to use up any leftover Easter chocolate
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
- Chop 100g of the chocolate and melt it in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water or in 30-second blasts in the microwave, stirring regularly. Set aside to cool, then add the condensed milk and mix until thick and stiff.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the cream in a separate bowl until stiff. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until well blended. Pour this mixture into a container suitable for the freezer. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight, until frozen solid. This will keep for up to three months in the freezer.
- To make the chocolate cups, line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Melt the remaining 400g of chocolate as before and remove from the heat. Spoon a tablespoon of it into a paper case and use a small brush to spread it from the bottom up the insides to coat the case completely. Repeat with the other cases. About two-thirds of the chocolate should remain, so set this aside for now. Pop the muffin tin in the freezer for 20 minutes, until the cups are set.
- Repeat the process of coating the cases with chocolate and freezing until set twice more, to give three layers in total. The melted chocolate will cool to room temperature, which is perfect for adding layers without melting the previous layer (if you work quickly), but it should not be allowed to set. If it does, then melt it again as before, but very briefly, not letting it get too warm.
- Once the three layers are complete and set, and with cool hands, carefully peel the paper cases away from the chocolate to reveal the fluted cups. These can be kept covered in the fridge for a few weeks or the freezer for longer.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer 10 to 20 minutes before serving, depending on how warm your room is, for ease of scooping and eating. Divide the ice cream between the chocolate cups and arrange on serving plates. Add any toppings you like and serve immediately.