Siobhan Berry of MummyCooks.ie shares a delicious healthy soup that ensures your little ones are getting as much vegetables in as possible.
Serves: 4 people
4 large Carrots
peeled and roughly chopped
2 sticks Celery
1 clove Garlic
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 - Onion
75 g Red Lentils
500 ml Reduced Salt Chicken Stock
1 pinch SuperValu Chilli Flakes
to garnish (for adults)
1 slice Wholemeal Bread
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots and cook for 6-8 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Add the lentils and pour in the stock.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are nice and soft.
- Blend the soup until smooth for the entire family adjusting for baby if necessary.
- To make the croutons, slice the bread into cubes and heat the remaining tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Toast the croutons for 2-3 minutes a side until golden and brown. Place on top of your soup and enjoy!
When preparing lentils for your baby it is advisable to soak them in water for about 30 minutes before use.
For more delicious family friendly meals visit www.mummycooks.ie