Tasty Alternative to Mince Pies for Christmas.
Serves: 16 people
375 g Filo Pastry
1 - Fresh Egg
Beaten with a little milk for egg wash
0 - Mascarpone Cheese
Flavoured with orange zest to serve
250 g Mincemeat
0 - Plain Flour
3 tbsp SuperValu Icing Sugar
1 - SuperValu Orange
Juice and zest
- In a bowl, combine the mincemeat with the orange juice and zest.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll out the puff pastry into a long oblong shape. Cut in half widthways, then brush each piece of pastry with some egg wash and sprinkle with icing sugar. Spread half of the mincemeat over the pastry.
- With the shortest end facing you, roll both long edges of one piece of pastry towards the centre so that they meet in the middle. Brush some egg wash down the centre to stick the two halves together. Repeat with the remaining pastry and mincemeat.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper. Place the rolls onto the trays and chill in the fridge for up to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ gas mark 6.
- Remove the rolls from the fridge and cut into 2.5cm-thick pieces with a sharp knife. Lay each slice on the lined baking trays and brush well with the egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until puffed up and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Dust with icing sugar and serve with some mascarpone flavoured with orange zest.