This delicious healthy salad celebrates great in season summer corn and tomatoes. It is a meal in a salad with lots of protein in the quinoa and backbeans and delicious dressing that we think makes it a family favourite. The quinoa can easily be replaced with rice, millet, couscous or your favourite grain. We made this in the studio and we were all fighting for more!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
400 g Black Beans
75 g Cherry Tomatoes
1 bunch Coriander
100 g Quinoa
100g dry quinoa makes approx 250/300g cooked quinoa
1 - Red Chilli
2 - SuperValu Avocado
1 bunch SuperValu Scallions
only use half of the bunch
200 g Sweet Potatoes
100 g Sweetcorn
frozen, tinned or fresh
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Cook the quinoa - following pack directions and when cooked, fluff and set aside to cool. When cooking make sure to add salt as you cook that way the salt cooks into grain as opposed to when you season later it simply sits on the surface. Quinoa tends to triple so use around 100g dry quinoa to get 250/300g cooked quinoa.
- Roast the sweet potato in pre-heated oven, chop sweet potato into bite size pieces - coat in a little oil (1 tsp) and a pinch of salt, spread out well on baking tray and bake till soft and delicious - about 20 minutes depending on size. When cooked, set aside to cool.
- While the sweet potato is roasting, defrost the corn if using frozen, drain and rinse if using tinned and if using fresh corn on the cob, simmer in a medium pot of water for 8-10 minutes until cooked, drain carefully in the sink, cool and remove the corn from the cob with a knife carefully. Set aside
- Drain and rinse the blackbeans.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in quarters, thinly slice the scallions, deseed and finely chop the chilli. Mix all these ingredients together with the corn, set aside.
- Remove the coriander from the stalk and roughly chop , ensure to include the stalks as they contain lots of flavour, just chop them nice and finely
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together and season to taste.
- Carefully destone the avocados, use a spoon to remove from the skin and chop into bite size pieces
- Now all the components are ready it’s time to layer and dress the salad. In a large bowl start with quinoa, add the black beans and the tomatoes, scallions, chilli, corn mixture, add the dressing and coat well, lastly mix the coriander, rocket , sweet potato and avocado and gently mix through ensuring to coat it all in the dressing..
*Hint/Tip Leave out the leaves in the salad, use less dressing and this makes a delicious burrito or wrap filling.