Making and decorating these delicious shortbreads is fun for all the family. Don’t be afraid to get creative with the patterns.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 18 people
Add all ingredients Select All
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in the flour until well blended to give a soft, smooth dough. Lightly flour a work surface and roll out into a ¾ cm thick piece.
- Using a 7cm egg shaped cutter, stamp out 18 eggs, re-rolling the dough as necessary and arranging on a baking sheet as you go. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 190C (fan 170C), 375F, Gas Mark 5 and bake for about 10 minutes until very lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To decorate, blend the icing sugar in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of water until smooth. Add a tiny bit more water if necessary, to give a drizzling consistency. Spoon an equal amount onto each of four small plates. Dot a tiny amount of a different gel food colour onto each one and use the tip of a fork or knife to swirl slightly.
- Place a shortbread face down directly onto one of the icings, then carefully lift it up to one side, allowing excess icing to drip off. Wipe any drips from the sides and place icing side up on a wire rack for about an hour or until set. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- These will keep for a few days between parchment paper in an airtight container.