Ideally you’ll need five silicone mats or five baking trays for this recipe, but you can make these in batches if needed.
Serves: 12 people
250 g Caster Sugar
2 - Eggs
whites only, about 75g
3 - Eggs
whites only, about 90g
2 tsp Food Colouring
185 g SuperValu Ground Almonds
185 g SuperValu Icing Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
60 ml Water
For The White Chocolate Ganache Filling
250 g Gluten Free White Chocolate
drops or chips
For The White Chocolate Ganache Filling:
100 ml SuperValu Cream
- Mix the icing sugar and ground almonds together in a bowl, then add your chosen colour, flavouring and 75g egg whites and mix well.
- To make a sugar syrup, put the caster sugar and cold water in a saucepan set over a medium-high heat and simmer until it reaches 120°C on a candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 90g egg whites until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar syrup to the egg whites while mixing at a medium speed. Keep mixing until it’s cold. Fold this into the almond mixture, then transfer to a piping bag with a round nozzle.
- Pipe small rounds onto silicone mats or baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Allow to stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the ganache, bring the cream to the boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Remove from the heat, add the white chocolate drops and mix well, until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag and chill in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 130°C/gas mark ½.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes. Allow to cool on the tray before you remove them.
- To assemble, pipe some ganache on the flat side of half of the macarons, then sandwich them together.