Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 6 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 tsp Baking Powder
250 g Butter
softened, plus extra for greasing
250 g Caster Sugar
4 - Fresh Egg
1 - Lemon
30 - Macaron Shells
See our Macarons recipe
250 g Plain Flour
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Coconut Buttercream
200 g Butter
2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
2 tbsp Malibu Rum
400 g SuperValu Icing Sugar
1 - SuperValu Vanilla Pod
split in half lengthways
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease a deep 20cm cake tin and line the bottom with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and mix together.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition, then mix in the vanilla extract and fold in the fl our and lemon zest. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until a skewer or toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn the sponge out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the coconut drizzle, combine the icing sugar, egg white and rum in a bowl. Spread the coconut drizzle over the cake and leave to settle for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all the buttercream ingredients together until a smooth, light consistency is achieved. Place the buttercream in a piping bag and pipe a generous walnut-sized amount onto the base of a few macarons, then sandwich together with an additional macaron shell.
- Place the macarons on the cake and add some sliced kiwi just before serving.