If the turkey is browning too quickly, you can cover it with tin foil and then remove it for the last 20 minutes.
Serves: 10 people
SuperValu Fresh Sage
SuperValu Quality Irish Whole Turkey
giblets reserved for gravy
Maple & Whiskey Glaze
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ gas mark 6.
- Soften the butter in a bowl, add the sage and seasoning and mix well. Rub some butter underneath the turkey breast skin by lifting the skin gently with your hands and massaging the butter onto the flesh. Scatter the onion slices over the base of a roasting tin. This will help stabilise the turkey and improve the flavour of the gravy.
- Add the stuffing to the turkey (See Turkey Stuffings Recipe). Place the cooled stuffing in the neck cavity, then line the main cavity with some tin foil or non-stick baking paper and loosely pack the stuffing into the bird. Don’t forget to weigh the turkey again after you’ve stuffed it. Place the turkey on a large roasting tray and pop it in the preheated oven.
- Allocate 20 minutes per pound, including the new weight with the stuffing, and then an additional 20 to 30 minutes in the oven. In total, it should take about 4 hours to cook. When a skewer is inserted into the meat nearest the bone, i.e. the leg, the juices should run completely clear.
- For the last 20 minutes of the cooking time, combine the maple and whiskey glaze ingredients in a small bowl and pour it over the breasts.
- When the turkey comes out of the oven, cover it loosely with tin foil to keep it warm. Allow the meat to rest for 20 to 25 minutes, then carve as required.