This dessert is really delicious and works as a tasty option for dessert or as a power snack. As with most of my recipes feel free to vary the main ingredients for a varied finish-why not considering using mixed summer berries or some delicious gooseberries.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
110 g Caster Sugar
0 tsp Ground Ginger
2 medium SuperValu Cooking Apple
peeled and chopped
5 stick SuperValu Rhubarb
washed and chopped
3 tbsp Water
110 g Porridge Oats
75 g Sultanas
25 g SuperValu Brown Sugar
50 g SuperValu Goodness Flaked Almonds
1 tbsp SuperValu Honey
175 ml Natural Yogurt
or whipped cream
- Begin by making the apple and rhubarb compote. Place the chopped apple & rhubarb into a medium sized saucepan with the sugar, ground ginger and the water and allow the mixture to come to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fruit has softened.
- Taste the mixture at this stage. I like to leave the fruit a little bitter but if you wish you can add a little additional sugar at this stage.
- Meanwhile heat a large pan.
- Add the porridge oats, flaked almonds and brown sugar and cook over a dry heat, stirring continuously for 3-4 minutes until the mixture crisps up a little.
- Drizzle the honey over the mixture, add in the sultanas and mix well and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the mixture turns golden brown.
- Transfer this crunchy topping to a large bowl and allow the mix to cool down completely.
- Choose 4 decorative glasses.
- Place some stewed fruit at the bottom of each glass, top with some of the natural yoghurt and then some of the nutty topping.
- I normally repeat this process in each glass to give an attractive layered effect.
- Finish with a layer of the nutty topping.