Short crust is the easiest and quickest of the pastry dough to prepare and suits both savory and sweet preparation.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour and add a pinch of salt.
- Rub the butter into flour until it resembles very fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in enough ice cold water to bring the mixture together.
- Kneed the pastry gently to bind the dough together. Shape a flat rectangle, cover with cling film and rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and knead the dough for a minute to have a pliable mixture.
- Dust some flour on a table and using a rolling pin , roll out the pastry.
- Line a fluted flan dish, tartelette shell or desired dish with the pastry. Place in the fridge for another 10 minutes before using as required on the recipe.
Tip: Add 1 egg instead of the water to enrich the dough. Try to work the dough as quickly as possible- the more it is kneaded the more it will become elastic and shrink while baking.
I sometimes like to roll straight away the pastry and let it rest then before using.
If freezing, freeze ready rolled, between 2 sheets of baking parchment and keep in the freezer, wrapped in cling film 2 months maximum.