This is a wonderfully decadent pudding. For a more child friendly option omit the whiskey and increase the water quantity.
Serves: 4 people
25 g Baking Powder
12 g Bread Soda
4 - Fresh Egg
120 ml Irish Whiskey
30 ml Milk
350 g Plain Flour
200 g SuperValu Butter
30 g SuperValu Goodness Pitted Dates
400 g SuperValu Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
240 ml Water
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Place the dates, water and bread soda into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes then remove from the heat and stir in the whiskey.
- Allow to cool.
- Using a hand blender blitz until a coarse consistency is achieved.
- In the meantime, in a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using a hand blender until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and sieve in the flour and baking powder.
- Pour in the milk and add the vanilla essence.
- Add in the cooled date mixture and combine well.
- Pour into a greased and prelined baking tray and place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
For the sauce
- Place the butter and sugar in a small pan over a high heat stirring continuously to form a caramel.
- Pour in the cream and be careful as the liquid will expand, bring back to the boil for 1 minute then remove from the heat.