This is a great way of cooking round roast beef, the paprika gives a wonderful flavour. The aroma of this simmering on your stove is fantastic.
Serves: 4 people
de-seeded & diced roughly
peeled & cut into chunks
SuperValu Chopped Tomatoes
cut into chunks
SuperValu Quality Irish Round Roast
SuperValu Tomato Purée
From the Store Cupboard
peeled and diced
SuperValu Sour Cream
- Cut the beef into chunks, ensuring that you trim off any fat that is on the beef.
- Heat a large saucepan with the oil, add in the diced beef and cook quickly until it is browned all over.
- Retain the high heat and then add in the diced onion, garlic, carrot and red pepper and cook these with the beef for a further minute or two.
- Next sprinkle in the paprika, ensuring that the beef and vegetables are coated all over. By frying off the coated meat and vegetables you get a greater intensity of flavour. Then add in the tomato puree.
- Next add in the tinned tomatoes and the beef stock and stir well.
- Allow the mixture to come to the boil.
- Cover the dish with a tight fitting lid, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and continue to cook for 1¼ -1½ hours until the meat is tender. Serve with boiled rice and /or some crusty bread rolls.
Garnish the goulash before serving with a dessertspoon of sour cream or alternatively just before serving you could stir two tablespoons of sour cream into the dish. Check Coeliac Society of Ireland Food List for gluten free brands.