This bread is just perfect with a big bowl of soup!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 12 people
Add all ingredients Select All
- Sieve the strong flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the salt and dried yeast if using (if using fresh yeast add with the water) and mix thoroughly.
- Mix the water (ensuring that the water is not too hot) and add this to the flour and combine well until it is all bound together.
- Transfer the entire mixture to a floured work surface and knead for 4-5 minutes using enough flour to prevent the bread from getting stuck to the work surface.
- Place the bread into a bowl, cover with cling film and leave it to rise for 90 -120 minutes approximately.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/440˚F.
- Knock back the bread and roll into a loaf shape (or divide into 12 pieces and roll into round shapes) and place on a well greased/floured baking tray.
- Sprinkle with plain flour. Leave the bread rolls to proof a further 30 minutes before baking.
- Sprinkle a few tablespoon of water onto the bread to help create a crust while baking.
- And place in the hot oven.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until crisp and golden brown.