This delicious treat can be made using stale bread and dried fruit.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 10 people
Add all ingredients Select All
0.5 tsp Baking Powder
8 slices Bread
stale, crusts cut off and chopped up roughly
2 tbsp Butter
175 g Currants
or mixed dried fruit
1 large Eggs
4 tbsp Milk
2 tsp Mixed Spice
3 tbsp Plain Flour
350 g Shortcrust Pastry
0 - Sugar
100 g SuperValu Brown Sugar
1 cup Tea
- Soak the bread in the tea for half an hour.
- Line the bottom of the tin with the pastry.
- In a bowl mix the tea soaked bread, flour, baking powder, mixed spice, sugar, butter, fruit, beaten egg and milk.
- Place on top of the pastry in the tin and top with another sheet of pastry and make a few scores with a knife.
- Cook in oven at 180 for 1 hour. Sprinkle with sugar, Cool and cut up to serve.